Saturday, January 11, 2014

Creating a Large Floral Arrangement

Hello, friends!  Thank you for taking the time to stop by my blog! 

Ever since my husband and I purchased this home a few years back, I have wanted to have a large floral arrangement in the entry.  I have always loved the look of a large floral arrangement right in the center of an entryway or foyer, and now that my children are all past the toddle stage, I figured it was finally time to do it!  

After quite a long time of looking at vases upon vases, pre-made arrangements, I didn't like anything. I was perusing my copy of Elegant Homes Magazine's Fall/Winter 2013 issue when I stumbled across what I thought was a fantastic idea!  In the article Causal Finesse, designer Christine Fink was discussing the decorating of a home built by architect Richard Bokal.  One of the images showcased a very small garden urn on top of a kitchen table.  I thought immediately eureka!  That's it!  Here is my process.

First, I went to both Lowe's and Home Depot, looking over the garden urns they have readily available. I decided on this one from Lowe's because of its elements of grey and blue (which melds with my décor), and I loved that it looks like an well-patina-affected antique.  

Here is a closeup of the detail. 


Next, I took a trip to the local Walmart and picked out a few inexpensive floral bunches.  I decided to stay with all whites, as throughout my home, white and silver act as accent colors.  

I set a round table right in the center of the entryway, directly under my chandelier. 

I used floral foam as a foundation. 

First, I placed the foam into the planter,

and added the floral stems at varying heights; my desire was to create a cascading effect.  


Here is the completed look. 

A couple of close-ups.


Not bad for silks.











Using a larger garden planter as a vase not only was easy (the ability to find one in stores), but I'm sure much more inexpensive than buying a pre-made large arrangement.  The total project cost me right around $50. 



If you enjoy this post, please visit the archives!  You may also visit my full profile to view my other blogs. Connect with me on my Facebook Page, Parsimonious Décor Darling.   You might like to visit my other blog hubs,

The Marvelous Maison, a lifestyle blog hub and 
Frugal Fab Fashionista, my fashion blog hub. 

Follow me on Pinterest!!  Please be sure to kindly follow the board guidelines, as it takes time and effort to find fabulous pins across the Internet and Pinterest!  Thank you!  

Thank you for stopping by! ❤

 

1 comment:

  1. I ɑbsolutely lovee youг blpog aand find many of your post's to be
    what precisely I'm looking for. Do you offer guest writers to write content for үourself?
    I wouldn't mnd composing a post orr eⅼaborating onn a few of the subϳects you write iin relation to here.
    Again, awesome website!

    ReplyDelete